Government defends move to release controversial edible oilAugust 15, 2019
NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 14 – Government has ordered the release of the controversial edible oil to the Kenyan market after conducting investigations that found the oil fit for human consumption.
Cabinet Secretary Trade and Industrialization Peter Munya said the multi-agency committee agreed it be out for public use despite lacking fortification.
“The edible oils which have been determined fit for human consumption although lacking fortification is released for use as raw material,” said Munya.
The cooking oil consignment was impounded by detectives in 2018.
Munya further highlighted that importers wanting to sell the edible oil lacking fortification should label it as so.
“Some importers may have not fortified the edible oil specifically with Vitamin A that has been lacking in the imported oil on which if they have to sell in the current state, they have to label it,” he adds.
Already, the imported consignments released to the local market total to 58.
“Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) will undertake market surveillance to ensure compliance,” said Munya.
It was considered to be substantial as it lacked Vitamin A. It was later released to the market after the directive of Munya.
Munya further cleared the air of not being under investigation by KRA.
Additionally, the committee which includes KEBS and other state agencies has also reached a decision to destroy the mercury-linked sugar consignment previously confiscated.
“The sugar being held by the state will be destroyed apart from consignments that have court cases, ” he said.