Ban on Betting Ads Suspended after Artiste Sues Betting BoardMay 21, 2019
The High Court on Monday temporarily suspended a government directive banning advertisements of gambling and betting.
Early this month, the Betting Control and Licensing Board (BCLB) effected the ban in a bid to curb gambling addiction. But an artiste later moved to court to contest the directive.
The complainant, Kamau Wanjohi who uses the stage name MC Moreydoc, claimed his source of livelihood had been interfered with. The emcee sued the board, its chairman Cyrus Maina and chief executive officer Liti Wambua and the Attorney General.
MC Moreydoc argued that the ban was issued without having public participation. He further stated that as someone involved in recording, performing and distribution of music, the said ban was irrational.
On Monday, Justice James Makau issued the stay of execution. “Pending the hearing and determination of this case, a conservatory order is issued staying the implementation of the decision by the BCLB issued on April 30 touching on advertisement and endorsement of betting, lottery, gaming and prize competition,” Justice Makau said.
The ban which was to take effect on May 30 had also barred celebrities from endorsing gambling operations as well as advertising the vice between 6 a.m and 10 pm.
Ⓒ 2019 Nairobi Wire